Friday, November 30, 2012

A Postcard From My Life


I want to write down something that's been on my mind the last few weeks. I have lived in the United States for the last 16 years and my children were born here. This is our home. My husband and I are from India and as the years pass, our family has become an amalgam of two cultures.  I was talking to a friend recently and he asked me if I felt that my links to India were loosening/becoming more tenuous. I thought about it and decided that, in my case, just because I felt more American did not mean that I felt less Indian. In fact, I feel privileged to be able to absorb and be a representative of and a bridge between  two wonderful cultures . Embracing and understanding our roots can inform and enrich our present and future. Many of you share in this experience and I would love to hear from you what your thoughts are.

Image credits/copyright: This is an old (and slightly crumpled) miniature painting whose pale pistachio greens I love. I have been using my Scrabble tiles to create picture vignettes that tell stories and thought I would share some of them with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment