Friday, December 28, 2012

London Postcard



You may remember that I was born in India. My generation was subject to a lot of colonial (British) influence in the literature we read: Enid Blyton, Agatha Christie, Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Oscar Wilde to name just a few. I spent my growing up years in the Persian Gulf region where, for the longest time, my only access to books was the local British Council. As we toured London on this trip, the history+literature Anglophile in me was thrilled to have discovered a new author to adore: Philippa Gregory. I read books from her Tudor series while touring the sights of London and have to recommend them to you as the perfect accompaniment to bring life to the castles and palaces and the very streets of the old city. History comes alive in her books! I have been sightseeing the entire day and racing back to the books in the evenings. Add a pot of tea, a scone or two and you are in heaven!



Are you familiar with her books?  I would love to hear from you, so do write in.

Image credits: 1. Taken by me somewhere in the Tower of London; 2 and 3.Via Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment